Thursday, February 23, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad

We've had a busy week here. I feel like we've been going non stop since we moved back to Georgia. We have yet to spend a weekend alone in our house. I have been to my parents several times, we had some friends over a couple weekends ago and we've been to the in-laws once as well. This weekend will be the same. Our in-laws are planning to move out of Fayetteville and want some help from Chris to fix up the house. So this weekend we are Atlanta bound. In return we always get free baby sitting and a night out alone so it's a pretty even trade :). Of course we don't mind seeing our family (its one of the big perks of moving back after all) and I know things will slow down when it isn't so novel to be able to pick up and go at the drop of a hat but right now we have been busy.
The past weekend was spent at my parents. My dad's 59th birthday was Friday and we went to see them Saturday and Sunday. We got my dad the traditional bottle of alcohol for his birthday (this year it was scotch). My sister gave my father an app of daily devotionals for his phone. I told her that I will contribute to his vices while she can aid his virtues. It's the kind of child I am. We planned a birthday meal at Rae's Coastal Cafe in Augusta. Side note: the she crab soup there is to die for. Everything was wonderful. I will definitely have to make a stop back there. Its surreal sometimes hanging out at the house like I used to. It really feels like I never left. I feel like the last 5.5 years spent in Utah have just melted away and never happened. Its hard to describe what its like to just walk into my parents house like I still live there even though it has been many years since I have. Jack definitely enjoyed my dad's birthday cake. It was strawberry and thus it was pink, Jack's favorite color. He helped "Poppy" blow out the candles. Jack loves seeing his grandparents and asks every weekend to go. He counts down the days to see everyone by "sleeps." i.e. it is now only 1 more sleep until we go see Grandma Cunningham.
The rest of the week has still seemed busy. The stay at home mom thing is way better than I ever thought it would be. I always said I wanted to stay home and maybe work 1 day a week but I always assumed it would get old quick. I thought I would be begging for a job by now. I am actually just the opposite. I love playing with the kids, planning my garden, taking trips whenever I feel like to see my family. I love that whenever Chris is off I am off too. There is no balancing our schedules. I actually applied for a job two days ago. I'm not experienced in the field that I applied for but we'll see. I obviously am in no rush to start work. Unfortunately, I have to pay the bills sooner or later.
I am going to start a new hobby. I have been reading up on gardening and am planning to build our first garden next weekend (supposedly we aren't going anywhere). I am going to start with a square foot garden (SFG) because it sounds easy and doesn't take up too much space. Our back yard is tiny. Like two of Maris' body lengths tiny. Maybe if I have success with it SFG I will venture out into raised bed/wide row gardening when I actually have some land and space. Also this week Jack officially made a new friend. He misses his friends in Utah a lot and has been asking to go play at a friend's house. I went to high school with a girl who lives on my street in Athens and she has a 3.5 year old daughter. We went to her house this week and had a play date. It took Jack a while to warm up because he is shy but eventually he was chatting up a storm with Bethy. Hopefully there will be many more play dates to come.
Such is Cunningham Life...
Maris and Poppy playing at Rae's.
Jack waiting for everyone to come eat the pink cake... his favorite!
Jack helping Poppy blow out the candles
And Nana and Maris

No comments:

Post a Comment